Saturday, February 9, 2013

Black Bean Burgers

Tonight we experiment with our first ever homemade black bean burgers.

I've found recipes as simple as this one and as complicated as this one. Somewhere in between there must be a tasty medium.

I decided to make up my own version ... quite tasty!

Rinse and drain 1 can of black beans
Saute onions, green bell peppers, mushrooms (I added a few other chopped veggies I had left over from a salad; carrots and radishes being some of them)
Add 75% of beans and 100% sauteed mixture into the food processor - pulse until combined.
Add 1 egg, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, remaining black beans - stir all together.
Form into 4 patties - VERY sticky.
Pour small amount of olive oil in hot pan, add burgers and let cook 5-8 minutes per side.
After you flip the burger, add slices of your favorite cheese.
Grill your buns lightly on the stove.
Add tomato, lettuce, ketchup & mustard - ENJOY.


I wish there was a list of the essential ingredients necessary for it all to come together.... like ... Pick one veggie from this list, pick two from here, add an egg and bread crumbs - voila. I'll keep trying. It was good enough to experiment with and I'm sure I'll make an even more amazing burger in the future.

If you've never had one, don't expect it to take like a hamburger - expect it to taste like a black bean burger. (If that's not helpful advice I don't know what is!)

Here's how my version turned out:



Plenty of spice, full of flavor, a little too pasty, but very filling. Bake up some sweet potato fries and you've got yourself a Sunday night meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment